Saturday, December 18, 2010

Looking Back

On December 3, for First Friday art walk (Phoenix) I visited the Doris and John Norton Gallery inside The Phoenix Art Museum. The Gallery is dedicated to Photography and is in close collaboration with The Center For Creative Photography at the University of Arizona in Tucson. The Center is an archive and an academic research facility that houses thousands of photographs form over two hundred photographers ranging from the masters to contemporary works.

I went to the gallery to see the current show; Inspired Vision: by Brett Weston and Sonya Noskowiak. I have to tell you this is a great gallery and a diamond in the desert for the local photographic community.

While I was looking at the exhibit, I couldn’t help but to think about how fast digital has become the norm and that I was now looking at an archaic process. It was only 10 to 15 years ago that B & W printed on silver paper was still mainstream. It’s weird for me to be witness to a vanishing medium. The process is getting farther and farther away in my minds eye. The silver print has solidly become an alternative process much like the tin type, Collodium or Platinum Paladium.

No comments: