Friday, April 16, 2010

Crested Saguaro




This is one of my favorite images. It’s a photograph of a Crested Saguaro near the Salt River Recreation Area in the Tonto National Forest.

I made this picture with a Holga camera using Ilford HP5 black and white film rated at ISO 320. The Holga is a $25.00 dollar plastic camera. To most camera buffs the Holga is classified as a toy camera . The classic look of a Holga is the soft focus caused by the plastic lens, unpredictable light leaks and vignetting. My Holga, does fairly well with minimal light leaks. To some that might spoil the fun.

Some photographers use Holga Camera’s exclusively as an artistic tool for expressive work.

I always develop my black and white film by hand in my make shift bathroom / darkroom. If my memory serves me correctly, I developed the film in PMK Pyro which has become my developer of choice for the past 5 years.

No comments: